Monday, December 14, 2009

Wake

Wake by Lisa McMann @ Forever A Young Adult

by Lisa McMann
210 pages

I was pleasantly surprised with this Wake. I finished it in only a few hours last night, I just couldn't put it down. At first the style threw me off, it felt like I was reading a play with scene directions, but once you got used to that it was really an effective writing style.



Wake is about a seventeen-year-old girl named Janie who has more than a few problems. For starters, she has no idea who her father is, her mother is an alcoholic, she is picked on by most people at school because she is poor, and oh yeah, she gets sucked into other people's dreams. This last little problem has been going on since Janie was about eight and causing problems ever since, but Janie is resilient. She is determined to make a better life for herself by going to college and works her butt off to make that happen.

While Janie is working at a nursing home she meets someone who can help her understand what is happening to her and she begins to take some control of her dreams. She also starts to fall for a guy who has a few mysteries of his own.

An exciting book that was really readable. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would. The little synopsis on the book jacket I felt could have been better. I almost didn't read the book because of it. I am glad I did, defiantly worth it.

The verdict is: Good read, check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment