Sunday, December 20, 2009

Fire

Fire by Kristin Cashore @ ForeverAYoungAdult
by Kristin Cashore
10 CDs

I have to admit, I had my doubts about a Graceling prequel, but I will never doubt again. Kristin Cashore defiantly delivered with Fire, I dare say I enjoyed it more! Kristin Cashore has such a gift for creating a fantasy world that just leaves you wanting more. The book is so well written, you get the sense that she carefully selected every word and the result was wonderful. This book had it all, action, adventure, romance, violence, sorrow and intrigue. You won't be able to put this one down, or in my case turn it off. The story is has many twists and turns, so I don't want to give away too much of the plot, but maybe just a little taste.



Fire takes place in the Dells, a place where beautiful and deadly monsters live. The kingdom is on the verge of war and the Dells is no longer a safe place. Lady Fire is a half human/half monster whose beauty stops people dead in their tracks. She also has the ability to control peoples minds and make them do her bidding, though she doesn't abuse it. That is something that her father would have done, and the last thing Fire wants is to be like him.

Fire lives in the northern region of the kingdom with her best friend and lover Archer. After a heroic feat she is requested by the king to assist with the interrogation of spies in Kings City. The journey of Lady Fire will take her to a strange new place with a delightful cast of characters and pleanty of adventure.

What I loved is that Kristin Cashore wasn't afraid to cover some realistic issues just because it was a fantasy book. Things such as birth control, PMS, and lust help make the book even more believable. The interpersonal relationships are wonderful and don't feel forced. And Fire, what can I say about Fire. I loved her! She was strong and independent, yet still vulnerable. There are some questions that were left unanswered, but if we are lucky Cashore will come out with another Fire book.

I highly recommend the audio version. The narrator, Xanthe Elbrick, was perfect. The story came to life so much more. I also listened to to Graceling, but for Fire I wish I would have had a hard copy as well.

The verdict is: I know I have said wonderful way too many times in this review, but it was. No need to read Graceling first, but you will probably want to after. I absolutely loved this one, read it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment